Friday, February 24, 2012

What does being healthy mean?

So it's official. I am CLEARED to run again!

I was so excited when I was told this that when we got home I told Evan he had to go on a run with me before we picked Avery up from MDO. Not to mention it was yet again, another 80* day in Texas with just a bit too much wind but man....it was too good to pass up on.

My foot is a bit tense still and I didn't push myself too hard, just being outside and moving was almost euphoric. Wait, did I just say euphoric about running? Seriously? *Shrug* Guess I am turning into a runner after all. I can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow, it's going to be hard but I'm prepared for the burn. I also know I can not get ahead of myself and that I must take it easy, one of my biggest things I do not manage well is following directions when it comes to health stuff. I get it into my head that  I know myself better than a medical professional and before I know it I've re-injured myself which is no mi Gusta.

Before my foot appointment we also had our follow up appointment with the OB. No, we are not pregnant yet and we are still going to try but we're also not going to stress about it. I'm on a prenatal to fit my needs now and will be taking a baby asprin a day to help prepare myself for potential blood issues. All my lab work came back good which is both good and bad news I guess. Considering how messed up both sides of my gene pool are, I've lucked out with only having one gene mutation. This mutation however, is very common, like 50% common with most people and can be treated with more folic acid, b12 and an all together healthy living lifestyle.

I'm also still a high probability for stroke, heart attack and blot clots due to my family history and this gene mutation signified that as well. I'll take it over some of the other variable mutations out there. Whats important is that I am healthy and able to conceive a baby. Does this mean I'll not have another miscarriage, no, it's not up to me or a doctor but it's up to God and I have to continue to give it up to him. Does it mean I won't try again, no. We still want another baby. We're going to be patient about this and if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. There's no medical reason why I shouldn't be able to get pregnant again.


I'm glad I decided to do the lab work and find out where I am with my health. I think it's something all woman should take into consideration, regardless if your trying to get pregnant or if babies are not even on the radar. It's good to be informed of your genetics and your health.

Evan and I have come a long way in our health if you ask me. I can look at pictures of us when we were dating to after we got married to now and you can visibly see how we've changed. It's seriously a journey and it's one you have to make for yourself. Nobody else has to live with YOUR health. For me being healthy meant having a baby. It meant letting go of foods I thought I needed, saying good by to sugary drinks and making myself get more sleep. It meant making better choices and decisions for myself, my husband and my potential family. I took it one day at a time and one choice at a time...

Here's us at our heaviest:
And 4 months later...

You can see the difference. This was also right before we got pregnant with Avery

3 months pregnant and I was still looking thin!
2008


Last week.
(Yes, I'm a dork.)

It's like I said before...a balance.
Eating right, excercising, sleeping, drinking water, taking vitmains, being active and staying positive.

I'm curious though, what does being healthy mean to YOU?

**EDIT** Last night my foot went back to hurting, today, I can't put any pressure on it whatsoever. I am miserable. Bought a brace and have been propped up with ice and heat per doctors orders. This is possibly the worst injury to date and the Dr. now wants me to come in for more x-rays. :(
-Britt The HLC



No comments:

Post a Comment